Skip to main content

I was done for the season....

But then I talked myself into a lot more work. I had Plot #5 at our garden and after cleaning up I tarped it and thought I was done..... But then I kept looking at Plot #4 right next door to me that had been abandoned mid-summer and dreading poor neighbours next season..... 

SO, now Plot #4 officially belongs to my mrs. 

A large square black tarp anchored to the ground in front of a fenced-in area full of 2ft-4ft tall weeds.
Plot #5 closed, Plot #4 in background

Knowing there wasn't much time before the snow, and knowing I did NOT want to let those weeds overwinter, I got to work. The first day I went out there and pulled up every big weed. Anything I could reach from standing was removed, some cut with pruners at ground level, others hauled out with whatever roots would come. The fencing was removed by me and the rolls were either stolen, or retrieved by the previous owners overnight. I like to think it was the latter.

EOD Plot #4 Oct 11
EOD both Oct 11
EOD pano Oct 11

Next pass and with the help of a garden fork I managed to uproot about a third of the weeds. The pile of refuse on the tarp was growing surprisingly quickly. I had no clue the MASS of bio mass you really can get of such a small area. I was quickly learning however, the muscle mass I really didn't have anymore.

EOD Oct 16

A few days later I managed to get a LOT of the weeding done. At this point I had pulled out about a gazillion lil white rootlets that I knew were gonna cause trouble. There will be more; I don't doubt that... But I've done my best to give us the best start for next season.

Weeds all gone!Leaves down
EOD pano Oct 20

Today I spent all day at the garden and not only did I finish the weeding. I laid out the leaf mulch, I used the finished compost in Plot #4's bin to sprinkle over them so they wouldn't blow away, I moved the now empty bin next to the other one, and I dug under the old bin for the milkweed root that had spawned the plant that managed to grow all the way up through the compost. The knot was about a foot below ground level, it was the size of my fist, and the runners went about 3 feet in each direction!

My feet are sore and my back is aching but so happy that I could get the weeding done before the snow. There's still some weed refuse to get into a compost bin and once the tarp I ordered gets to the store I'll come back out and pin it down...

but for now, I think I'll just enjoy the view. :-)

Both plots as I left them today


Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Pickled Radishes

  Mrs and I have the house to ourselves again and we also have two community garden plots to grow in! So far this year, there have been a few small harvests. Due to distance and illness and such the garden has not received as much care as I'd like, but we are enjoying what IS coming out of it.  11 lbs 8 oz of washed and trimmed radishes On top of the chive flowers, we had two small and one HUGE haul of radishes. The large haul was sorted and the larger ones(some as big as our budgie) were sliced for pickles and the rest were blanched and frozen for future roast-root side dishes. The picked radishes are a favourite here. The process steals almost all the heat and leaves behind a nice crunchy sweet and sour pickle. These are the ingredients PER 500mL JAR so you can easily whip some up from grocery radishes to give them a try. These are the instructions as I found them. I'll put my changes at the bottom: Ingredients: 1 bunch radishes about a 1/2 pound, stem and root ends removed a

Everything Is Temporary

I've been using the mantra "everything is temporary" to remind myself not to get bogged down in the minutia of organizing when there's still decluttering left to do. My plan is very simple, but very broad and therefore time consuming. I've already applied this logic to my clothes and books to be a proof of concept on easily gathered categories. The rest of our stuff isn't really sorted into categories yet and is spread across the house, So my plan is as follows: Day to day life needs to run smoothly. The decluttering has waited this long, and it can be done in the gaps. Sort everything into categories (some obvious garbage/donations can be tossed in this step) Go through each category carefully with Hugslut in order to keep only the things that make our life better.  Seeing what's left & organize our stuff in a way that allows for frequent enjoyment of the beautiful things, easy access to the commonly used things, and easy tidying/cleaning/ca

Garden haul & update

Today’s garden haul. Next to the tiny cabbages are wood sorrel and chives with the roots still on to plant indoors. The potatoes weigh in at 13.5 lbs (approx. 6kg).  I also have a cup or two of micro potatoes. Might put them in soup whole. :-) The garden got away from me this year… and yet we’ve had so many radishes we had to give them away, and we’ve got garlic for the whole year, and we’ve got a really good amount of potatoes based on how many I planted.  This year I learned how important weed suppression is in the fall, and how little it matters to some plants. I think I’m not going to sign up for the community garden next year. I’d rather focus on what needs to be done before we move.  Oh! News on that front! Our saving plan has gone well and we’re planning to start looking for our forever home in 2022! 🥳